The property of 20 acres was first purchased for 20 pounds from the Crown by Luke Humphrey, on 25th February, 1895 for grazing purposes.
The township of Barkly was named after Sir Henry Barkly who was Governor of Victoria at the time gold was discovered in the area in 1859. In that year the population of the area reached 10,000. Some of the signs of the former gold diggings still remain with mullock heaps scattered over the area, remnants of gin bottles and fragments of old china. On this property on the north side of the creek the layers of silt that form the creek bed are signs of a large gold washing process. Specks of gold can still be panned from the creek bed.
An early cottage once stood where the two pine trees are today and the fig tree is quite possibly 100 years old. The present house was lived in by members of the Cheesman family until the 1980’s. For a few years from 1951 – 56 a room on the north west side of the house served as a local Post Office.
Our cropping paddock faces Redbank Road and was first purchased in 1991. The Barkly lead runs through this paddock and it took several years to prepare it for planting. The first lavender and vines were planted in 1994. We now have 9 varieties of lavender, 200 vines and 300 roses.
BARKLY LAVENDER AND ROSE FARM 38 Marshall Lane Barkly, Pyrenees Shire Victoria 3381 Australia